- Marin P. Allen, PhD, NIH Office of Communications and Public Liaison
- Shuly Babitz, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- Joyce Backus, National Library of Medicine (ex-officio)
- Melissa Barrett, National Institute of Nursing Research
- Karina Boehm, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research
- Kym Collins-Lee, National Eye Institute
- Kathleen Cravedi, National Library of Medicine (ex-officio)
- Stephanie Dailey, National Institute on Aging
- Meredith Daly, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
- Stephanie Dennis, National Library of Medicine (chair)
- Marian Emr, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
- Jody Engel, NIH Office of Disease Prevention
- Claudia Faigen, NIH Office of Dietary Supplements
- Christine Bruske Flowers, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
- Peter Garrett, National Cancer Institute
- Lenora Johnson, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- Kathy Kranzfelder, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disease
- Irene Liu, National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health
- Alisa Machalek, National Institute of General Medicine Sciences
- Raymond MacDougall, National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering
- John Ohab, National Human Genome Research Institute
- Stephanie Older, JD, National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Trish Reynolds, National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
- Allisen Stewart, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
- Natalie Zeigler, National Institute of Mental Health
How You Can Help the Library Extend Medical Knowledge
You can be a part of the Friends' mission to help educate the health, corporate, and public communities about NIH's many vital research initiatives. If you or your company can help to support and expand the Library's efforts by providing sponsorship and other charitable donations for NIH MedlinePlus magazine's publication and distribution, many more thousands of Americans will gain valuable, free access to the world's best online medical library, www.medlineplus.gov.
Learn more about supportership or call (202) 679-9930. Written correspondence may be sent to FNLM, 4720 Montgomery Lane Suite 500 Bethesda, MD 20814.
NIH MedlinePlus, the magazine, is the free, trusted consumer guide to the vast array of authoritative online health and medical information at www.medlineplus.gov. Published four times a year, the magazine showcases the National Institutes of Health's (NIH) latest medical research and healthcare information. The Friends of the National Library of Medicine (FNLM) is the support group for the world's largest medical library and, with NIH, publishes NIH MedlinePlus — providing Americans with a gold standard of reliable up-to-date health information in a user-friendly format.
We are helping to insure that the American public has access to NLM resources including 86 databases that can help them make informed decisions regarding their health. The NLM coordinates resources and shares information with a nationwide network of 5,000 health sciences libraries and information centers. The Friends is busy organizing outreach and publicity campaigns to educate all Americans about the NLM.
We continue to honor distinguished leaders in biomedical education. The Lifetime Achievement Award is presented to public leaders who have dedicated their lives to improving public health. the Michael E. DeBakey Library Services Outreach Award is presented to a medical librarian who provides outstanding service to rural or under-served communities. The Medical Media Awards are given to broadcast or print journalists who demonstrate consistent and sustained distinction in reporting biomedical and health information.
We are exploring new program initiatives, such as support for additional exhibitions and seminars, expansion of the Profiles in Science website and sponsoring new fellowships in bioinformatics.
- Patricia Flately Brennan, RN, PhD Director, NLM
- Betsy L. Humphreys, M.L.S., Deputy Director, NLM
- Kathleen Cravedi, Director, Office of Communications and Public Liaison, (OCPL), NLM
- Patricia Carson, Special Assistant to the Director, NLM
- Fedora Braverman MedlinePlus and MedlinePlus en español teams, NLM
- Kathryn McKay Writer-Editor, NLM
- Elliot Siegel, PhD, Outreach Consultant, NLM
- Selby Bateman, Senior Editor
- Christopher Klose, Contributing Editor
- Peter Reinecke, Strategic Advisor
- Terri Poindexter Smith, Managing Editor
- Richard Krisher, Senior Editor
- Jan McLean, Creative Director
- Linda F. Lowe, Senior Designer/Web Developer
- Traci Marsh, Production Director
- William G. Moore, President
- Sharon B. Tesh, Senior Staff Accountant